Monday, April 14, 2008

Normal Schmormal


For the first time in many months, I had an actual weekend. I can explain. Last week was a crazy exam week. But with an exam last Friday, there was nothing to study over the weekend. So, when I woke up on Saturday morning, I had only house cleaning, errand running and friend catch-upping to do.

I spent time with my friend Jack and his boyfriend Harold up in Ann Arbor. We just hung out and and I realized how incredibly stressed I am all the time. Nowadays, I mostly hang out with medical students or Iron Skillet, all of whom are accustomed to the high level of daily stress of a med student. But Jack and Harold were acting like it was a Saturday. Because that's what most people do on Saturday.

Now that the weekend is over, today has been a slow introduction to the swing of things. I skipped the morning lectures to get organized for the week. Then I went and shadowed a doctor who has bad breath and porcelain statues of Jesus all over his office. One of his patients had a 1st degree burn on her right breast. She told the doctor she got the burn from drinking tea. I repeat, a First Degree Burn. When I asked how tea gave her that burn, both doctor and patient looked at me like, "You mean, you don't pour hot water all over your breasts when you drink tea?"

Normal was fun for a weekend.

No comments: